I know it's a bit early.......but,
A couple years ago (2010), I was trying to figure out a fun way to countdown to Christmas and discovered that the ABC's were a perfect way to do it! I wanted to post about this a few days early so if anyone wants to do this you'd have plenty of time to get stuff ready.
Here's the basic idea:
1. We decorated a letter each day with a picture of a Christmas word that goes with that letter.
2. We also did a fun activity that had to do with that Christmas word. (*optional)
3. After we completed each letter, I put them in a small photo album to make a Christmas ABC book we can look at each year!
1. Cut out, draw, or buy letters in uppercase or lowercase. (I used red punch-out letters that I got at the dollar store a while ago.)
2. Glue or tape each of the letters on a piece of paper. (I used 4x6 card-stock. As we decorate each letter, I'm going to put them in a 4x6 photo album so we have an ABC Christmas book!)
3. Using colored paper, cut out pictures for each Christmas word that your child can put together. (I used construction paper and paint samples because they are really vibrant colors.) For example, G is for Gingerbread (shown in picture below.) I cut out a gingerbread man and some things to put on him. LM simply put the gingerbread man together and then glued him on the G! It definitely will save time and energy having these all ready to go!
4. Put each letter and it's picture pieces in it's own little ziploc baggie. Organization = success! :)
5. Find a special place to put the letter for each day. I'm used the silver Christmas tin shown in the picture above. Each day LM looked in the tin and to find the baggie with the letter for that day. You could also hide the baggie with the letter somewhere in your house and have your child hunt for it!
6. (**OPTIONAL) If you want, you can also do an activity associated with that Christmas word. We had a variety of crafts, learning activities, games, and just fun stuff--all of which were pretty simple. And some of the letters didn't get an activity---due to the hectic nature of the Jolly season. :)
Click HERE to see all the Christmas letter posts so you can see the activities we did with most of the letters. :)
Here is our list of Christmas ABC's. Feel free to change any words you'd like to use:
ABC's of Christmas:
A - Angel
B - Bells
C - Candy Canes
D - Drums
E - Elf
F - Family
G - Gingerbread
H - Holly
I - Ice Skates
J - Jesus
K - Kindness
L - Lights
M - Mittens
N - Nativity
O - Ornament
P - Presents
Q - Quilt
R - Reindeer
S - Snowman
T - Tree
U - Unwrapping
V - Village
W - Winter
X - Xylophone
Y - Yummy
Z - Zzzzzzz.....
And since there are 25 days to Christmas and 26 letters in the Alphabet, you could either do 2 letters on one of the days, or start a day early, or do the day after Christmas too. Either way, it will be a fun way to celebrate and learn the abc's each day until Christmas!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.