This is the 2nd activity in our "Family Unity" theme. We did this for Family Home Evening to talk about how these core values can strengthen our family.
These 9 values come from "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" where it states:
"Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities."
- Cut a white piece of paper (or cardstock) into 6 rectangles. On each rectangle, write each letter of the word FAMILY.
- Cut out 9 big triangles from different colors of construction paper. On each one, write each of the 9 values mentioned in the paragraph above: faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities.
Here's what you do:
- Sit down with your family and lay out all the papers you made. Tell them we are going to build a house. Have them put the letter rectangles in order to spell "family" (3 letters on top, 3 on bottom).
- Then tell them there are 9 different roofs for the house that can help the house be strong---with words of things we can do to help our family be strong.
- Have a child choose one roof at a time and put it on the house and talk about how your family can develop that value. For example: "What are some ways we can show that we LOVE each other?"
- Do this with all the values. OR you can focus on 1 value each week or each month--and make 1 goal as a family for how you can implement that value into your lives.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.