Our final "Ghosts" preschool theme activity for the week was a hit. (Much like our Pop-out Ghost Card, and our easy to make Ghost Matching Game!) This was such a fun and easy Halloween activity for kids and is a great way to teach kids the Alphabet. Especially since LM(6) was home from school to enjoy this fun game with us! It's a great way to add a little learning and fun to your Halloween this year. :)
- 4 sheets of white craft foam (mine are half-size sheets like these)
- You can draw lines (or just cut by eye) each sheet into 8 rectangles:
- Then, with each rectangle form it into a ghost shape by cutting the top to make it round, and bottom to make it zig-zagged, like this:
- You can even stack a couple rectangles and cut 2 at a time!
- You'll have 32 rectangles, but you only need 26 ghosts for the alphabet. You can either cut them all into ghosts and use the extras for something else, or just leave the others as rectangles for something else later.
- Draw faces on the ghosts. Just 2 eyes and a smile. :)
- Then, write all the letters of the alphabet on each ghost. I decided to write them in lowercase to help LB(4) work on recognizing them.
There are many ways you can use these cute little ABC ghosts. Here's what we did:
- I laid all the ghosts on the table face-down.
- LB(4) and LM(6) took turns:
- One of them would pick a ghost and say the letter and the sound the letter makes.
- The other one would then think of a word that starts with that letter. Then they'd switch.
The boys really loved this activity! It was great practice for LB(4) to recognize letters and their sounds. Thinking of words for him was a bit tougher. Sometimes he needed help, and sometimes he thought of some good words all on his own. It was a fun way to learn!
LM(6) also had fun. Eventually instead of just saying the word he thought of, he wanted to act it out and have us guess. This was a fun addition that I never even thought of! He came up with some great words that were tough for us to guess!
All in all, fun & learning was had by all. :)
**Click HERE for more fun Halloween activities we've done!**
In need of craft supplies--like craft foam for this fun activity?? Check out our post on the best kid-craft supplies for great prices on Amazon! We've got some good recommendations. :)
(This post contains affiliate links)
originally posted 10-11-2013